Bethel International United Methodist Church
Complete Story
 

12/22/2016

Our History

Our History

Bethel International will be 175 years old in 2017, starting as a small country church in 1842 near the railroad tracks. In 1971, we dedicated a new church building on property acquired just west of the original church, which has since become the 5-star Refectory Restaurant.

Our oak sanctuary with beautiful stained glass windows can comfortably seat over 200 and has recently had multimedia upgrades. In 1979, an educational wing, a kitchen, and a fellowship hall were added. Further expansion occurred in 1994, when a multi-use Family Life Center was added that can seat over 350 in worship and can be used for events like Upward Basketball. 

In 2011, Bethel UMC merged with the OSU campus ministry of Grace Korean UMC to become Bethel International United Methodist Church. Currently, we average about 350 worshippers at three Sunday morning services. In 2016, we  began living out the Parable of the Great Banquet (Luke 14:15-24) with a vision of “500 in 5,” having 500 in worship on Sunday mornings in 5 years, by the year 2020. We want the world to “come and see,” to “taste and see” the goodness of the Lord.

  

The First 100 Years
After the 100th Anniversary